Didier Ghez: When and where were you born?
Herb Hughes: I was born in Nebraska on March 12, 1934. About 1937, my parents relocated to the Sacramento, California, area. I grew up living in a small town called Lincoln. I graduated from Lincoln Union High School in 1953. I did one year at Sierra Junior College, then located in Auburn, California. I joined the United States Navy in 1954. I served four years and was discharged with honorable service. Some months later, I was privileged to be accepted into a motion-picture lighting union in Hollywood.
DG: What did you do before you joined Disney?
HH: I was, at that time, a member of a motion-picture and television lighting union. My training as a communications electrician in the U.S. Navy was instrumental in my getting what I thought would be a one-day call at 20th Century Fox Studios. That one day was at 6 a.m. on a cold November day in 1958/59. It was my thought that I would see the inside of a real Hollywood studio and then return to my hometown. However, that one-day call lasted for 96 consecutive days! That got me a “permit to work” card until I accumulated enough days to join the union, which I did in 1960.
- Parent entry
- 1 - Bill Cottrell (Bob Thomas)
- 2 - Bill Justice and Bob Broughton (Bob Thomas)
- 3 - Ken OConnor (Bob Thomas)
- 4 - Ken OConnor (EMC West)
- 5 - Armand Bigle with Betty Bigle (Bob Thomas)
- 6 - Betty Bigle and Gérald Bigle on Armand Bigle (Didier Ghez)
- 7 - Dominique Bigle on Armand Bigle (Didier Ghez)
- 8 - Pierre Nicolas (Didier Ghez, 1991)
- 9 - Pierre Nicolas (Didier Ghez, 2008)
- 10 - Antonio Bertini (Bob Thomas)
- 11 - To the Top in Ten Years with the Family Formula (Kinematograph Weekly)
- 12 - Disney in the Scandinavian Countries 1928-1945 (Are Myklebust)
- 13 - Andy Thewlis (Bob Thomas)
- 14 - Gunnar Mansson (Bob Thomas)
- 15 - Horst Koblischek (Bob Thomas)
- 16 - Dan Gonzales on Manuel Gonzales (François Willot, Armando Botto)
- 17 - Irving Ludwig (Bob Thomas)
- 18 - The Music of Treasure Island (John Huntley)
- 19 - Herb Hughes
- 20 - Royal "Mickey" Clark (Jim Korkis & Didier Ghez)
- 21 - Royal "Mickey" Clark (Bob Thomas)
- 22 - Marvin Davis and Marjorie Davis (Bob Thomas)
- 23 - Marty Sklar (Bob Thomas)
- 24 - Dick Nunis (Bob Thomas)
- 25 - Jack Lindquist (Bob Thomas)
- 26 - Craig McNair Wilson (Jim Korkis)
- 27 - Kym Murphy (Didier Ghez)
- 28 - Chris Runco (Didier Ghez)