Paul Hartley is one of the unsung heroes of Imagineering. He is the artist who designed many of Disneyland’s and Walt Disney World’s famous posters.
In a short autobiography, Paul wrote:
In 1954, joined Walt Disney Productions to establish a graphic arts department. The purpose of this department was the coordination and implementation of graphics for the soon-to-be-opened Disneyland, as well as existing departments within the organization. This department was also responsible for the design of record album covers for the musical department, promotional sales material for 16mm rentals, and design concepts for Disney lessees. Projects, other than the supervision of the graphics department, included art direction of a bi-monthly pre-teen oriented magazine, created as a tie-in with the highly successful Mickey Mouse Club TV show, and books published in conjunction with theatrical releases such as Our Friend the Atom and The Art of Animation.
I returned to the United States in 1961 to accept an art direction position with WED Enterprises, Inc., which was, at that time, engaged in the creation of four exhibitions for the New York World’s Fair (Ford Motor Company, General Electric, State of Illinois, and Pepsi-Cola). My duties were to assist in the design and development of graphics for these exhibitors and prepare film presentations of proposed attractions.
In 1968, I returned to WED Enterprises to participate in the various areas of development and design of Walt Disney World, Florida, and Disneyland.
- Parent entry
- 1 - The Diaries and Letters of Ferdinand Horvath (Ferdinand Horvath)
- 2 - A Short Autobiography by Ken Peterson (Ken Peterson)
- 3 - The Letters of Bob Givens to Hardie Gramatky (Bob Givens)
- 4 - The Letters of Sylvia Holland (Sylvia Holland)
- 5 - Tyrus Wong interview (Michael Barrier)
- 6 - John Hench interview (Christopher Finch, Linda Rosenkrantz)
- 7 - John Hench interview (Charles Solomon)
- 8 - Marc Davis interview (Christopher Finch, Linda Rosenkrantz)
- 9 - Alice Davis interview (EMC West)
- 10 - Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn interview (David Tietyen)
- 11 - Floyd Norman interview (Jim Korkis)
- 12 - Stacey Hartley, daughter of Paul R. Hartley
- 13 - Bill Cottrell interview (Jay Horan)
- 14 - Lillian Disney, Diane Disney Miller, Jenny Miller interview - Recorded in October 1982 at EPCOT in Florida (Bob Allen, Jim Korkis (transcript))
- 15 - Glen Keane iInterview (Charles Solomon)
- 16 - Darrell Van Citters interview (Didier Ghez)