Expansion was the keynote of the sales conference at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank early in 1954.
The result was that Cyril Edgar and Cyril James were sent hurrying home to London to form a separate U.K. distribution organization, while in the United States the company inaugurated its own distribution set-up under the name of Buena Vista Distribution Co., Inc.
Until that time the Disney product, which mainly consisted of cartoons apart from [four] British-made live-action efforts, Treasure Island, [The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men], Rob Roy, and The Sword and the Rose, had been distributed very successfully by RKO. The news that Disney was to go it alone was not exactly earth-shattering news, and at that time only the more optimistic had visions of the company matching the product line-up of the major distribution companies within ten years.
The beginning was definitely humble. The Walt Disney line-up for 1954 consisted of just one feature—a True-Life Adventure titled The Living Desert. One exhibitor had even termed it as the film whose stars were “snakes, beetles, and birds,” but it was a picture that had to be sold if the new London venture was to survive.
- Parent entry
- 1 - Bill Cottrell (Bob Thomas)
- 2 - Bill Justice and Bob Broughton (Bob Thomas)
- 3 - Ken OConnor (Bob Thomas)
- 4 - Ken OConnor (EMC West)
- 5 - Armand Bigle with Betty Bigle (Bob Thomas)
- 6 - Betty Bigle and Gérald Bigle on Armand Bigle (Didier Ghez)
- 7 - Dominique Bigle on Armand Bigle (Didier Ghez)
- 8 - Pierre Nicolas (Didier Ghez, 1991)
- 9 - Pierre Nicolas (Didier Ghez, 2008)
- 10 - Antonio Bertini (Bob Thomas)
- 11 - To the Top in Ten Years with the Family Formula
- 12 - Disney in the Scandinavian Countries 1928-1945 (Are Myklebust)
- 13 - Andy Thewlis (Bob Thomas)
- 14 - Gunnar Mansson (Bob Thomas)
- 15 - Horst Koblischek (Bob Thomas)
- 16 - Dan Gonzales on Manuel Gonzales (François Willot, Armando Botto)
- 17 - Irving Ludwig (Bob Thomas)
- 18 - The Music of Treasure Island (John Huntley)
- 19 - Herb Hughes (Didier Ghez)
- 20 - Royal "Mickey" Clark (Jim Korkis & Didier Ghez)
- 21 - Royal "Mickey" Clark (Bob Thomas)
- 22 - Marvin Davis and Marjorie Davis (Bob Thomas)
- 23 - Marty Sklar (Bob Thomas)
- 24 - Dick Nunis (Bob Thomas)
- 25 - Jack Lindquist (Bob Thomas)
- 26 - Craig McNair Wilson (Jim Korkis)
- 27 - Kym Murphy (Didier Ghez)
- 28 - Chris Runco (Didier Ghez)