An entire book should be written about the making of EPCOT. To do so, one needs to start interviewing many of the Imagineers who worked on the project, and one has to do so quickly. Candace Lavin worked on sev- eral of the pavilions from EPCOT. I had the pleasure of interviewing her at the end of 2019. Tragically, less than two months after the interview was completed, Candace suddenly passed away. Her memories survive.
This interview was transcribed by Julie Svendsen.
Didier Ghez: When and where were you born and what did you do before you joined Disney?
Candace Lavin: I was born on July 26th, 1952, in New Jersey. Before joining Disney, I went through college. I earned my degree and then, right after I graduated in ’76 or ’77, I went to work for someone who I met in school. He was going to start his own graphic-design studio, so I went to work for him. I eventually pulled in a couple of other people who were classmates, who were graduates with me, one of which ended up working at Imagineering along with me. I brought her into Imagineering after I started. I worked there for just short of two years. Then I ran into a family friend, who I knew on a social basis at church, in the bank one day. He said, “Didn’t you just finish college not too long ago? I said, “Yes, I did.” He said, “I work for MAPO and they’re getting ready over there at WED Enterprises to start hiring design staff.” I had no idea what WED or MAPO was at the time. He said, “If you give me your resume, I’ll take it in.” I thought, “Disney. It’s got to be a good idea. I’d be crazy not to do it.” […]
- Parent entry
- 1 - Letters to Dennis Gifford from Wilfred Haughton (Wilfred Haughton)
- 2 - Basil Reynolds - Letter to Dennis Gifford, January 21, 1975 (Basil Reynolds)
- 3 - The Disney Diaries of William Norris Dakin (William Norris Dakin)
- 4 - John Rose (Milton Gray)
- 5 - Maurice Noble (Michael Barrier, Milton Gray)
- 6 - Letter from John Lounsbery to Julius Svendsen (John Lounsbery)
- 7 - Tim Considine (Dave Smith)
- 8 - David Stollery (Dave Smith)
- 9 - John Mansbridge (Didier Ghez)
- 10 - Roger Broggie (Jay Horan)
- 11 - John Hench (Jay Horan)
- 12 - Candace Lavin
- 13 - Eddie Sotto (Jim Korkis)
- 14 - Eddie Sotto (Jim Korkis)
- 15 - Jim Tadevic (Didier Ghez)