William Norris Dakin was hired by Disney on October 3, 1938, as an animation trainee and left the Studio on April 1, 1939.
George Drake, who is mentioned in several of these diary entries was head of Disney’s Training Department.
September 20, 1938
Special delivery airmail letter from Disney Productions Ltd. Came this morning. I have qualified for the tryouts which will begin on October 3rd. All the family showered congratulations upon me, but I am not jumping in joy for I know that I shall have to battle hard to hold my place on the staff if I am lucky enough to get it....
September 21, 1938
Now that I know that I am definitely going to Hollywood, I am feverishly sketching landscapes....
October 5, 1938
Signed a three-year contract with the Disney Studio this morning. Wrote a long letter to the folks yesterday and told them I was having a wonderful time. I only wish all the things I told them were true. I only live for the day when I shall take up my paintbrush for good and lose myself in the rendering of many beautiful things I have seen and will see....
- Parent entry
- 1 - Letters to Dennis Gifford from Wilfred Haughton (Wilfred Haughton)
- 2 - Basil Reynolds - Letter to Dennis Gifford, January 21, 1975 (Basil Reynolds)
- 3 - The Disney Diaries of William Norris Dakin
- 4 - John Rose (Milton Gray)
- 5 - Maurice Noble (Michael Barrier, Milton Gray)
- 6 - Letter from John Lounsbery to Julius Svendsen (John Lounsbery)
- 7 - Tim Considine (Dave Smith)
- 8 - David Stollery (Dave Smith)
- 9 - John Mansbridge (Didier Ghez)
- 10 - Roger Broggie (Jay Horan)
- 11 - John Hench (Jay Horan)
- 12 - Candace Lavin (Didier Ghez)
- 13 - Eddie Sotto (Jim Korkis)
- 14 - Eddie Sotto (Jim Korkis)
- 15 - Jim Tadevic (Didier Ghez)