Jay Horan: What would you like me to call you?
Joe Fowler: You can call me Uncle Joe, or whatever you want.
JH: Maybe we could begin at the beginning: Your experiences at Annap- olis and subsequently in World War I.
JF: I grew up on a farm in Maine and always wanted to go to the Naval Academy and I was successful in doing that. While at the Naval Academy I had a very interesting life. We graduated a year early, on account of World War I, but in the interim, at my senior year, I was the Midshipmen Com- mander of the Regiment of Midshipmen. I was captain of the crew and still managed to stay on high enough in my class in order to be appointed later to MIT. We graduated in 1911, a year early, and I did two years of Transatlantic duty. I had every job on a cruiser escorting ships to Europe. Very interesting experience. Ultimately, I had a tour on the battleship New Mexico before the war ended. Then I was appointed to MIT and there I had three years to complete my post-graduate course in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. From then on, my career in the Navy was shaped up entirely with work: The design, the construction, and the management areas of the shipbuilding of the Navy.
- Parent entry
- 1 - Letters of Otto Englander (Otto Englander)
- 2 - Jack Campbell [biography] (Steven Hartley)
- 3 - Van Kaufman (Mark Langer)
- 4 - Ward Kimball (Mark Langer)
- 5 - Bill Hurtz (Mark Langer)
- 6 - Fini Rudiger-Littlejohn (Michael Barrier)
- 7 - Fini (Josephine) Rudiger-Littlejohn (Helmut G. Asper)
- 8 - Eric Gurney interview and letters to Eric Gurney (Random House)
- 9 - Wilfred Jackson (Dave Smith)
- 10 - Eric Larson (John Culhane)
- 11 - Burny Mattinson (EMC West)
- 12 - Letter by George Harding Foster to Harrison B. Kinney (George Harding Foster)
- 13 - Marc Davis (Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston)
- 14 - Claude Coats and Evie Coats (Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston)
- 15 - Wathel Rogers (Dave Smith)
- 16 - Bob Otto (Michael Broggie)
- 17 - Marvin Davis and Marjorie Davis (Michael Broggie, Gary Oakland)
- 18 - Marty Sklar (Chuck Schmidt)
- 19 - Marty Sklar (Michael Broggie)
- 20 - Joe Fowler
- 21 - Rock Hall (Jim Korkis)
- 22 - Pat Burke (Alain Littaye)