EMC West: How did you first come to the Disney Studio?
Tyrus Wong: I got married, and Chinese people when they get married have to support their wife, right? So I talked to my wife and she said, “You can try the Disney Studio because I hear they are paying artists.” So, I tried that, and first they put me in Inbetweening. At that time I didn’t even know what inbetweening was. We had a group over there with this Japanese and Chinese and everywhere I turned it was melting pot in the place. So I was doing inbetweening. And boy, when I did that and I got home my eyes would feel like they were ready to drop out of their sockets. It’s constantly flipping the paper and into the light. So I told my wife, “See this is awful on my eyes.” She said, “Well, what are you gonna do?” So, being a husband, I said, “I’m gonna do it for a while.” I was there for about a month or so, and I just hated that job, inbetweening. I finally found out that they would do Bambi.
- Parent entry
- 1 - Peter Adby (Peter Adby)
- 2 - Sterling Holloway: A Way with Words (Joe Collura)
- 3 - Sterling Holloway (Edward Summer)
- 4 - Tyrus Wong
- 5 - Woolie Reitherman and Ken Anderson (Celia from Family Circle)
- 6 - Woolie Reitherman (Edward Summer)
- 7 - Woolie Reitherman (Christopher Finch, Linda Rosenkrantz)
- 8 - Les Novros, Bill Hurtz, and Paul Julian (Michael Barrier)
- 9 - Rudy Cataldi (Rudy Cataldi)
- 10 - Bob Harpur (Michael Broggie)
- 11 - Jack Hannah
- 12 - Joe Potter (Jay Horan)
- 13 - Jeff Burke (Didier Ghez)